How to Deal With Critics of Your Decision to Go to Law School

Listen to them.

I know you won't, but listen anyway.  I had some folks telling me flat-out: "Don't go."  I didn't listen.  I still stand by not listening.  I felt like going to law school was the right decision for me, and I still feel like it was.  I know that sounds messed up given my most recent decision regarding law school.  But I gained a lot.  A lot of knowledge, friends, and general life experience.  An adventure, really sucky at times, well worth it.

So, listen to your critics, make a rational decision, or do neither.  Go with your gut.  Do whatever you feel is right.  My point: it's your decision.  I certainly don't mean by "Listen to them," that you have to do what they say.  I think you should at the very least factor it in.  I just hope you'll remember that if you get through the first semester or two and hate it, that you don't have to be stuck there.  Responsibly and seriously consider pulling out and exploring your other options.  Don't wait too long to reassess.

If law school is all you've ever wanted, I don't know what to tell you folks exactly.  I did not have the legal ambition until after I was already halfway done with undergrad.  So, I don't really know how to relate with you, but I suppose if you are reading this, just know that it's not the end of the world if you hate it. Don't be afraid to give it a year, and then reassess and determine if law school and the law is really what you thought it was.  Perhaps my advice means follow your dreams, until they're not your dreams anymore?

Legal education in this country could use a lot of improvements.  It's a hoop-jumping system that charges increasingly exorbitant amounts of money each year to teach you mostly things that will never come in handy after the bar is over.  But if you're taking your decision seriously, you already know that.  You're ready to jump.  I was, too.  I knew the checkmarks I'd have to get before I completed the somewhat arbitrary legal checklist.  As it turned out, my life didn't make it easy, and I realized that the hoop-jumping didn't feel like it was going to be worth it.  I felt in prison, and you just might, too.  Just be prepared for it not to be exactly like you may have always hoped it would be.

To George Mason's credit, they very clearly let us 1Ls know that the legal market and law school itself would not be a delightful diversion.  Many of my classmates commented that they were freaked out by how bluntly we were told that it was going to be rough.  I cannot say I was not fairly warned.

Just because I quit law school, does not mean that I hate everything about it, or that I think everyone should get out.  I still love some aspects of the law, and the great societal utility it can provide.  I had first-class, accomplished classmates who are headed for great things.  I learned that the law can be used in some very admirable and noble ways.  I had some great professors that taught me some things that will be useful for the rest of my life.  I worked with judges and lawyers that afforded me some unforgettable experiences and lessons.

I tried to fit the law into my life, but it wasn't working.  That's an oversimplification of everything that lead to me quitting, but I just want readers to know that I still condone some people going into the law.  It can be a great thing.  It wasn't for me.  Know that it just might not be for you, either.


Next time on How To Quit Law School:  How to deal with critics of your decision to quit law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment